Several studies performed have shown that cell phones may lead to cancer. Although more research is needed on this topic, it is unlikely that the future studies will be based on children and so the topic will remain controversial for a while.
Mobile baby tracker apps require the phone to be kept close to the baby especially while tracking breastfeeding sessions. Some argue that cell phones are FCC approved, however, the cell phone radiation test used by the FCC is based on the devices' possible effect on large adults—not children. Children's skulls are thinner and can absorb more radiation which results in more exposure.
At Cubtale, we are worried like many other parents that keeping cell phones close to babies may be harmful for your baby's brain development. For this reason, the Cub remains in deep sleep (no radiation exposure) until the center log button is pushed. When the center log button is pushed, the device will connect to the Wi-Fi for 3-5 seconds to transmit the data and then it will go back to sleep. Cubs also have a memory. So if you prefer to keep your baby's room Wi-Fi free, you can continue logging your sessions, and the Cub will communicate the data once you re-push the center button in a Wi-Fi connected room.
For more information, please visit these websites:
American Academy of Pediatrics
- Cell Phone Radiation & Children’s Health: What Parents Need to Know (https://www.healthychildren.org/English/safety-prevention/all-around/Pages/Cell-PhoneRadiation-Childrens-Health.aspx)
U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:
- FAQs about Cell Phones and Your Health (https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/radiation/factsheets/224613_faq_cell-phones-and-your-health.pdf)
U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC):
- RF Safety FAQ (https://www.fcc.gov/engineering-technology/electromagnetic-compatibility-division/radio-frequency-safety/faq/rf-safety) (The FCC isresponsible forregulating RF emissionsfrom cell phones;the regulations were last updatedin1996.)
World Health Organization:
- Electromagnetic fields and public health: mobile phones (https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/electromagnetic-fields-and-public-health-mobile-phones)
- Does Cell-Phone Radiation Cause Cancer? (https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/smartphones/cell-phone-radiation)
California Department of Public Health:
- How to Reduce Exposure to Radiofrequency Energy from Cell Phones (https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CCDPHP/DEODC/EHIB/CDPH%20document%20Library/Cell-Phone-Guidance.pdf)
U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA):
- Reducing Radio Frequency Exposure from Cell Phones (https://www.fda.gov/radiation-emitting-products/cell-phones/reducing-radio-frequency-exposure-cell-phones)